Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Will birds eat vegan doughnuts?

The contents of a box of day old doughnuts from the vegan bakery lay strewn about in the middle of Meridian Avenue. Crows and pigeons appeared to be massing for exploration, but the car traffic - or was it the doughnuts' composition? - must have been discouraging the birds from swooping down to investigate. We watched for a time, but even when there were no cars,
the birds kept their distance. Maybe it was the garish color of the frosting and jimmies. After a while, a construction worker hauling debris from a remodeling project nearby came out and picked up the derelict doughnuts, leaving a few for the birds. Later in the day, nothing remained but the flattened forms of demised doughnuts, like chalked outlines at a murder scene.
I got back from an exercise outing and my 87 year old mother reported that a strange man had knocked on the door, and she opened it to talk to him. This of course filled me with horror, which I conveyed to her, but she said, "He told me my chickens were out in the front yard." We don't keep chickens, but our friend and neighbor across the street does, so this meant her chickens had crossed the road - and why, you may ask? Well, to dig around in the layer of composting leaves I have out front to improve the soil, flinging it all over the sidewalk. Chickens are amazing little cultivating machines, digging vigorously with beaks and both legs to get whatever the hell they're eating underneath. My mother's response to the strange man's news was to leave the house, walk down the steps by herself - gad, another frisson of horror for me - and drive the chickens back across the street to their own yard. Again I winced, thinking about the possibility that she'd lock herself out. A hat trick of defying danger for my mom! We had a little chat about NOT OPENING THE DOOR TO STRANGERS, which she's already forgotten. Time for another attractively calligraphed remeinder sign...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home