Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Groggy

These smack dab in the heart of the night insomnia spells are murderous. We shall see if I can make it to bedtime without a nap...
Not only made it without conking out midday, but also managed a lackluster little run and workout; later, as I was driving over to check on my tutoring student, I heard a live performance of Thievery Corporation on KEXP-FM Seattle. These folks were engaging and energetic, and that clinched it: I must needs rally again to go out with my engaging and energetic spouse to hear their show at Premier. So, by gum, we did it. Tore off a bit after 8:30 PM, as the doors opened at 9:00 for this "early" all - ages show. As we stood there until almost 9:45, waiting for the group to appear, I began to question our decision, but I was reminded that it's generally been my observation that musicians rarely start on time. Maybe in the opera house or concert hall they do, but that's probably owing to their audiences' demands and their own union rules. Alternative and rock musicians do not seem to have any such strictures.
Well, just as even this typically polite Seattle crowd started getting restive, out came the two main fellows in Thievery Corporation, and the show went on. Very enjoyable, with two horns, drummer, guitar, bass, keyboards of some sort, three male vocalists, three female vocalists, including one they called "Karina, our Brazilian princess" - yeeks, every time she came out, you coulda cut the testosterone response out in the crowd with a chainsaw. Not great singing, but she wasn't there for that. Also a couple of musicians from Istanbul, playing what looked like oboes, although I couldn't be sure. Not a long show, but still worth the loss of sleep.
Mercifully, the lights were very low and darkly hued, so we grizzled ones could dance undetected...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home