Friday, May 13, 2005

Sun, briefly

And Son, briefly...we had talked about maybe going out climbing today, but he slept late, and the weather appears to be trying to rain again, sooner or later. He just took off to the UW climbing rock with a friend and his dog, the teeny but magnificent Enzo Ferrari, previously mentioned in these annals. Little Enzo had an unpleasantly enlightening experience with one of our cats, Rico; he innocently went up to check out Rico, who humped up, hissed and swiped at the poor little canine. Inevitable, but I was not too happy and Enzo's owner was even more unhappy. We checked him over for wounds, and shooed the cat away. ("You need to get lost," growled Enzo's master to our cat.) I figure Rico was surprised and delighted to be able to intimidate a dog, since he outweighed it by about 8 or 9 pounds. Shortly after this twist on a classic encounter, I took Enzo over to look at my friend's chickens. ("Will they attack him too?" enquired his owner.) The birds were in their coop, though, so it was a safe opportunity for the doglet to inspect them. I didn't bring him too close to the penned-up birds, who were instantly alert to the dog's presence. Enzo went absolutely still in my arms, his radar-like ears trained forward on the chickens. I could feel him relax as we went back to my house. Enough excitement with megafauna for him in one day!
Had a good session at the indoor climbing gym with a friend; she and I both got kind of worn out after a couple of hours, but still had fun. She might go hiking with us this weekend, depending on the weather.
Got a very nice chunk of troll-caught wild King salmon from Oregon for dinner; nice for once to taste really fresh, unfrozen fish. I roasted potatoes, onions, carrots and sweet red peppers tossed in olive oil while I baked the fish quickly at a high temperature. With organic peas, it made a swell meal.
I'm actually liking "Winter's Tale" better; got a bit more read last night, after thinking I wanted to bag it, 30 pages in. It' s still not exactly thrillingly challenging, but does seem to have some inventive moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home