Sunday, July 17, 2005

Sensational-looking Sunday

Our son got up pretty early today to head out to Index for a couple days of climbing. He said their plan was to try all new routes, no matter what rating they had. I sent him off with a bunch of "energy bars" I made last night, which were really like oatmeal/coconut/chocolate chip cookie dough, a bit softer dough so I could spread it in a rectangular pan. I really dislike all the Luna, Power, Clif or other energy bars out there, they taste like vaguely peanut-buttery sawdust to me. If one needs extra calories to burn whilst exercising, I say let them taste good.
A quiet day. Dear spouse went on a business trip, with a few of my energy bars in tow. My mom andI just kind of puttered around the rest of the afternoon. I had a nice run and work out, we had an early dinner and watched a rather murky episode of Mystery! this evening on PBS.
Off to read in bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

When I was a lad, sawdust was all we had, and by God, we made do. It was my assignment to break the ice off the storm door with a sledgehammer in the morning and collect the sawdust that collected beneath my father's table saw the night before, when he would burn the midnight oil fashioning the walnut Jackalopes that he proffered to the trading post for our Friday night treat of salamander chowder. We thought ourselves wealthy.

Anyway, the sawdust. Mom would stir it into the library paste we were assigned to steal from school, and bake a cornucopia of a cereal-like substance that looked and tasted exactly like All-Bran. We ate this for breakfast with just enough water from the cistern to dampen it (but not so much as to deprive the chinchillas Dad was raising for a little extra stewmeat and undergarment fur. Made us regular, it did, and the three of us that survived never saw the inside of a doctor's office.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home