Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Miniature plagues of Egypt

We aren't experiencing rains of frogs, and blood, or swarms of locusts, but we have had a huge outbreak of fruit flies, and I found ants invading under the sink; there are yellow jackets around, mosquitoes, and, we fear, fleas. Let's see, that's five plagues of insects. The blood comes from smashing the skeeters, as well as red liquid if you swat a fruit fly. The final plague would be all the itching bumps and swellings engendered by the bites. Weren't there seven that hit Egypt, according to the Old Testament?
Ran and worked out mid-afternoon, and found this evening to be so delightful that I had to get out and walk. Around 7:30, I went briskly down past the Lower Woodland Park soccer and baseball fields, along Green Lake. The air felt so fresh it was like floating along in a stream. I joined the big passagio around the lake, and since I was walking against the human tide, caught fragments of numerous exchanges and conversations which formed a quick- cut fabric of emotions. I crossed the huge playfield south of the pool building, and stopped in the center; turning around slowly, I took in acrobatic frisbee, soccer, softball, volleyball, and dads getting kids accustomed to baseballs being tossed to them. The grass had just been cut, and the air smelled green.
As I got to our house, I stopped across the street to let my friend know I had had to rescue one of her chickens from a strange cat which had it cornered by her next door neighbors' gate. She had made a raspberry/rhubarb pie, which she insisted we taste. It was still warm, fragrant and jeweled with fruit. We decided that, a la mode, it would also make a fine breakfast.

1 Comments:

Blogger isabelita said...

Funy you should say that, glenda. Sometimes I think I'm about the only person around who doesn't much care for Prairie Home Companion. Kind of like ole Garrison's political pieces, though.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home