Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Shadow of rain

Wonderfully cool and threatening to rain, yet it never does. The Ferrari brothers started their walk enthusiastically, but grew increasingly resistant as about three rain drops fell. We about-faced, and they ran like wild things the few blocks back to their house. We had a spot of indoor "playtime", during which I mostly prevented them from eviscerating one another. I've never seen them draw blood, but the younger one is going into, uh, adolescence, and willfully challenges his older brother, resulting in hair-raising sounds. Astounding that such small creatures can produce such a terrifying volume of snarls and blood-curdling barks.
Late-breaking climbing gym session, a fine diversion on a chill day. When my friend and I got there, a couple of other women we knew had arrived, so we sort of paired off according to size. The woman I was with is even shorter than my 5'3 1/2", and claimed to be thrilled at having a climbing companion she could actually watch to figure out routes, but even a couple of inches gives one a completely different range of possibilities. Short climbers benefit by being strong and resourceful, since we can't always reach the holds like taller people can. My hands are very strong from crimping on small things to work myself up a route.
We climbed until we were noodle-armed, and headed out under clearing skies. Beloved spouse and I walked out for a bite of sushi and a stroll in the evening air, which felt more like fall than mid-July. Beautiful and strange clouds, and a crystalline clarity to the atmosphere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Threat of rain is better than rain of threats in my book anyday.

Couldn't resist the turn about on words - sorry for taking a rather wonderful post and turning it political.

Blog on Isa. Blog on all.

3:15 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Eh - that's okay, 'spike. Just about anything can have political flavor added to it, or wrung from it.
Right now I'm so pissed at NARAL and Planned Parenthood for endorsing Joe Lieberman. That's my outrage du jour...

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home