Saturday, February 03, 2007

Day never broke

Such gloom; one of us had a hairdo to perk herself up, the rest of us muddled through.
Evening brought distraction and fun, at a pizza party where the hosts make the most scrumptious pies with a variety of interesting toppings. One had a base coating of a pesto with ground roasted pumpkin seeds in it, topped with goat cheese; another had lots of chopped garlic, olive oil, and very thinly sliced yellow potatoes. There were several other vegetarian combinations, including an eggplant mixture which was like an antipasto spread I've had, a kind of thick ratatouille with tomatoes, peppers, and onions. These folks brew their own beer, too. We had a fine time in many good conversations, met some new people with interests in common.

5 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Yum. We love to make our own pizzas. Lately our favorite has homemade pesto, thinly sliced tomatoes, some mozarrella, and sauteed veggies. For some reason we're in a phase where we're putting lots of pepperoncini in everything. Spicy and good.

It's foggy here right now. So thick I can hardly see the trees.

9:50 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

What kind of crust do you like best?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I make my own crust as well...and used to brew with a friend, but have let that fall to the wayside. There is nothing like the smell of cooking yeast in dough and brew to make the winter pass well.

5:37 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

We buy a frozen crust that's made by a local baker--The Village Baker. It's a great crust. I've thought about making my own, it seems like such a lot of effort for one meal! Although I guess I could make a batch and freeze some. Mmm. You have a good recipe you'd care to email me?

4:46 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, I bet our son will start wanting to brew beer pretty soon...

Robin, I think about any kind of bread dough would work. Most of the time I like the regular old unbleached white flour, olive oil, salt and water one, but I have a batch of dough rising now which has blue cornmeal, whole wheat flour and unbleached white that would probably be tasty.
I tend to go by texture rather than measured ingredients, which is why I always messed up my breadmaking machine!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home