Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Outta reads...

Went for a climbing workout today with an acquaintance; we hit it off nicely. One indicator to me is a person's reading tastes. She told me she'd been on 2 months' bedrest recently due to back surgery, and kept her sanity by reading, among other things, War and Peace, Great Expectations, Julia Child's autobiography, and some other selections I silently approved. We both agreed Anna Karenina was a favorite.
I am in a little dilemma now, as I have nothing queued up to read. Soon, to the book stores. My mother is re-reading, unbeknownst to her, the collected stories of Colette. We need some new material around here.
Late-breaking relief: My son pulled out an old Richard Brautigan book, A Confederate General from Big Sur. This ought to be interesting; I haven't read any Brautigan since my twenties. We'll see how the old pre-gonzo writer wears.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

there are so many good choices...so little time. What about Moby Dick? or a little Dickens? Or perhaps, for the politically minded, Cornel West's Democracy Matters.

9:53 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, I've read Moby Dick a vouple of times, one fairly recently. Read almost all of Dickens. I'll take a peek at the Cornell West, but having heard him on the Tavis Smiley radio show, I'm a bit leery. I'll give him a shot, though. Thanks.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Paul Rice said...

When it comes to literary decisions, I prefer Club International and Soldier of Fortune. Where do I rate?

10:46 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

paul, I'm afraid to ask what Club International is...

12:20 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

I know I read Trout Fishing in America waaaay back. But I can't remember a thing about it.

5:38 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

kathyr, I think we probably got contact highs from just touching Brautigan's writing...

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home