Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The birds call it

When we went out this afternoon, there were great numbers of different kinds of birds all over our yard, up in our trees, out on the parking strip; nothing exotic, like the parrots of Telegraph Hill in SF, but an impressive collection of robins, sparrows, starlings, and bushtits, calling and tweeting away madly, dropping their excrement everywhere. The cat, who almost always walks with us, was grimacing in delight, emitting his strange little ecstatic cries as he struck hunting postures left and right. We wondered at this avian mobbing, and I suggested it could mean a weather change. As we did a little route, the cat lurked, stalked, and chased bunches of birds until I wondered if he'd drop from the exertion. Half an hour later I had to run in the rain.
Nice walk out with beloved spouse, and nipped into a joint for some pasta.

2 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

We have bizarre bird situations in Dallas. Enormous numbers of birds, mostly grackles, line electric lines, trees, and every other high surface near several intersections...this happens near sunset. I have no idea the reason, but I always worry about Alfred Hitchcocks's reason for the film when I see them. Did he know something we don't?

10:14 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I've been hearing bird songs lately. Ones I haven't heard since late last summer. I think there may be a change in the weather. I hope so. I'm definitely longing for some sun.

BTW-- I changed the email address so that it's actually correct. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Please try to send that email again. Thanks so much.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home