Thursday, March 08, 2007

Little chicken lost?

We suspected that one of our friends' chickens had gone missing. Their back gate was awry, and the other chicken was strutting around, making a plaintive sound that she usually produces when her companion has managed to get over the gate and is off somewhere getting better grub. The grubs are always juicier on the other side. We looked in all the usual places this wandering bird shows up, but never found her. She's probably hunkered down somewhere after escaping the yardsmen who swept in and mowed and edged.
Back into winter, with the cold raining and the blowing and the shivering...

6 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

Hope the chicken turns up. It surprises me that you have people keeping chickens in Seattle, though...don't know why, it just does. On another subject, I have to gloat (I rarely do)...we hit 77 today, under blue skies...low humidity, and soft breezes. Our springtime typically lasts 48-72 hours, so I have to enjoy it while I can.

8:22 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

mfm, the city permits people to keep three chickens, max. My friend who has them says there's no regulaiton against roosters, but there are noise ordinances, and if the neighbors are unhappy by crowing, then the rooster must go.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

A chicken on the lam? Chicken-napping?
Maybe she's looking for one of those rare roosters.

1:36 PM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

One thing that puts a smile on my face at 5:30 in the morning is when I walk outside to get the paper and I can hear a rooster crowing off in the distance.

One day I will have chickens.

3:34 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

kathyr, the last time I heard a rooster crow was just a few days ago, about a mile from here. It was about three in the afternoon. Don't know how far chickens can track one another...

Well, if you're an early riser, roosters are for you, kona. I prefer them really far in the distance at that hour.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

"Well, if you're an early riser, roosters are for you, kona. I prefer them really far in the distance at that hour."

Like, in the refrigerator.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home