Friday, April 13, 2007

Shivery

But a scant week ago, it was summer; today, about 52 degrees wet. Off on a longish ramble to the Ethiopian grocery, to return a container and get some injera for dinner; the young woman who has been there when my sister was here was making the flat bread, all by her lonesome. She told me she also works as a waitress at a retirement place not too far away, the Norse Home. So she works most of the day in the grocery deli, then caps off her days serving old folks.
It makes me tired to think about it, but she is a cheerful generous little person.
Had to stop off at the co-op for maple butter; dangerously low supplies at home.
I looked up some recipes for red lentil and yellow split pea "wats", or stews, to accompany the injera for dinner. They took a bit longer than described to cook down, and I tasted them so often that I lost my appetite. Berbere spice went into the lentils, and curry into the yellow wat. Not bad for the first try.

1 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

Every time I read about your forays into Ethiopian food, I get hungry for it...even at this hour. I have settled for Ethiopian restaurants, since I've still not found markets that sell Ethiopian spices, etc., but I'm going to make it my mission in life to seek out sources. I have found an online resource, but have never used it: http://www.ethiopianspices.com/

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home