Saturday, June 16, 2007

An advance on Dad's day

The menfolk went out for a good dayhike, managing to do it before the rain hit the foothills. We aimed for a couple of cloud breaks and got the old ticker pumping. Made some wats to accompany the injera we got the other day. My sister had give me some of the berbere spice that goes in the red lentil wat, called miserwat, and only a teaspoonful gave it a good bite. The "yellow wat", made with yellow split peas, just had some mild Indian curry powder in it, and was a nice contrast to the red miserwat. Some day we'll have to go to an actual Ethiopian restaurant and try their foods.

2 Comments:

Blogger Imperatrix said...

You've never been to an Ethiopian resto? You always sound like such a pro on Ethiopian food, nevertheless.

When I lived in DC (20 years ago), Ethiopian food was so popular there were two Ethiopian restaurants in Addams-Morgan (the eclectic part of town).

6:54 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, the little place where we buy the injera and sometimes wats does serve food, and once my sister and I and her three boys ate some things there, so I guess I have been to one, imp. But there are a bunch of them here in town, and Ethiopian food has been called "the new Thai" because of its popularity in Seattle.
I just looked up recipes online for the red lentil and yellow chickpea wats, which are easy to make. The injera, I'll buy. I watche done owman make it, and it's too complicated to do in my little kitchen.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home