Monday, August 27, 2007

If there's a bustle in the hedge row,

DO be alarmed now...this ain't no spring clean for the May Queen. As I was running back up the hill towards home this afternoon, I passed a house with a fairly high retaining wall, and a fair amount of shrubbery. I heard a loud rustling, glanced to my right, into the face of a large, mostly white pitbull. I just kept running, and suddenly heard a loud,"Sit your ass DOWN!" When I looked back to see who it was, I saw a skinny young black guy, with his hand on the pitbull's collar. It had been offleash, and fortunately, he had been close enough to drag it back away from its trajectory towards my neck. I just kept running, thinking I wanted to tear this kid a new one for having the pitbull out unleashed, but decided I may as well get home. The incident happened so quickly it stuck with me as a waking nightmare.
Pleasant evening as an antidote.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it just wanted to play.

With your neck.

6:15 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yeesh. Not too long ago, there was a truly hellish incident south of here, a home invasion by two pitbulls that got loose. They came into a disabled woman's house via a dog door, and attacked her and her two dogs in her bedroom. With the image of her poor mangled face and arms in my mind, I really didn't want to join her as a statistic. I did, however, agree with her summation:"They need to take the damned things out and shoot them."

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pit bulls are real babe magnets here on the East Side.

10:42 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Surely you jest, marci - you mean the east side of Lake Washington, out here in the Seattle area?

12:31 PM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

I have real issues with people who don't keep aggressive dogs on a leash, and ESPECIALLY if they are not fenced in. I tried to ride by bicycle around the block awhile back and before I got to the end of our street, a large dog had raced out in front of my bike barking furiously. I had to break to avoid hitting him and was surprised I didn't have a nasty spill.

Thus ended my relaxing bike rides.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home