Wednesday, August 29, 2007

To market to market

Today was a gorgeous sunny afternoon, and the fragrances of all the fruits displayed at our little bitty weekly market floated through the air. There were freshly shelled cannellini beans, which I brought home and cooked with onion and garlic; tender and flavorful. Also got some Romano green beans, which look like regular ones on steroids. The recipes I've found for them claim they cook faster than regular green beans, which seems odd, but maybe it's because they're flat, despite being so much wider and longer than regular string beans.
Romola ended with a dreamlike series of events, and left me feeling nostalgic, almost, for times when people may have actually believed that religion could improve human behavior; not that it really did so much, but people were able to try to believe it could. That's the only use I can see for it, and it hasn't achieved that much for centuries. As little regard as I have for religion, I could tolerate its existence if it improved this planet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home