Monday, December 10, 2007

Doggy delight

Swell walk with my friend who's almost all healed up from her surgery; we took her dog, who it turns out has been sick for a while with a bladder infection, but wasn't showing any symptoms other than fatigue or occasional listlessness. Said pooch has fully recovered, and dashed about like a pup, vaulting over things, rolling like crazy in wet grass, full of vim and vinegar. We visited a newly finished pocket park not too far from the zoo, a little space with a fantastic view to the west, and a mythological theme in its design. There are some words on a decorative band in the cement entry, referring to Theseus rescuing Ariadne from the Minotaur in the labyrinth, although no mention is made of the monster. Kind of a sanitized version, but I suppose if kids thought they were heading into a place replete with monsters, they'd balk. Or maybe not, but they'd be disappointed by the lack of video games.

1 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

I've never hear the term "pocket park" but I knew immediately what you were referring to...we even have a few here. Your other post about Joyce Carol Oates made me remember that I always liked the idea of reading her work but never really liked the act of doing it. Maybe I was captivated, too, by her criticism more so than her own literary skills.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home