Thursday, December 06, 2007

Fell into a gap

My good friend and long time climbing partner and I managed a short session. We saw the oldest living climber I've ever met, who is 88 years old; he still shows up at the gym, although we haven't seen him for quite a while. When we exchanged greetings and asked him how he was, he said he was "in a downward spiral," and smiled in his usual courtly fashion. He then said he hoped we'd "spiral nicely upwards." He didn't start climbing until he was in his early fifties, but has done a good deal of back country climbing. We've seen him bouldering at the gym and falling flat on his back from ten feet off the ground, get up, dust himself off, and walk on to the next problem. A force of nature, he is, and it is hard for it to dwindle.
After reading Margaret Laurence's last novel, I found a little collection of her first published works, The Tomorrow-Tamer and Other Stories. Not very far into it, but it's a gem; and I've got all her work in between these two to read, if I can find them out there.

3 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Wow, climbing at 88 sounds like quite a feat. I'm always impressed by people who take up physically demanding exercise in their 50s and keep at it.

2:26 PM  
Blogger pohanginapete said...

Reminds me how long it's been since I've climbed, and how much I miss it. I returned from 8 months overseas to find the local climbing wall had closed. But, just a week or so ago, I learned that it had reopened elsewhere in town; moreover, two super-keen local boulderers have found and developed a boulder just up the road from me. Now I just need to get my climbing-specific strength back. Thanks for the prompt, Isabelita :^)

10:54 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thsi gentleman in particular comes from long-living stock, robin, and has kept at the fitness program for decades. But it doesn't go on forever...

Pete, good to see the illustrated posts again on your site. Ah, climbing's like riding a bike! (Old US saying, "You never forget.") Hope you enjoy it again.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home