Friday, November 30, 2007

Near miss

During our walk, a truck with a flat bed and a good-sized forklift on the stern pulled up to deliver some stone pavers to a house down the block. My mom enjoys watching such events, so we waited to see what would happen. The driver greeted us cheerfully, and told us it was "pretty cool" to see the forklift detached, and proceeded to hop aboard. He whisked the forklift around to the side of the truck, caught part of the lift on the truck wheel, and started to flip over. He would have landed on a fairly new Honda coupe parked right in front of us, and perhaps continued to roll onto us, but somehow managed to right the lift. Breath-taking, but not cool; I hustled us away up the street towards the safety of home. I shall be relating this experience for some days, since my mom has already forgotten it, memorable as it seemed to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Wow. That sounds very scary. I'm trying to picture it, and what I am seeing would have made me run, just like you and your mom hustling to safety. Yikes.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Stunt forklift driving! You don't see that every day.

9:53 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

It makes me wonder about my response time, but it happened so quickly and seemed so unbelievable that I was frozen. When we got home, belvoed spouse remarked that it sounded like forklift safety films that have been shown in industrial settings. Yikes.

11:02 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home