Monday, January 21, 2008

Good one

Despite an unusual start to this day, which involved a mission of mercy for a near and dear one, and more freeway driving than I've had in a good long carbon footprint of a while, this was a pleasant span of being conscious. Ironically, the closest I came to disaster was not out on the 520 or the 405, but just down the hill a bit from our house, where there were good-sized patches of what they call out here "black ice." It's hard to see, as it just looks like a shadowy place on the road, but it's a coating of ice. Just in front of me some fool went speeding up the hill, hit one of these patches, spun out, bounced off the curb, slid; I was far enough back that I could stop to let them get the hell on their way at the speed limit.
Swell little workout at the climbing gym with some pals, nice walk in the barely thawed-out afternoon air for my mother.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another reason to stay here in L.A. It's just raining. No slippery ice.

1:40 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Dallas has black ice at least once a year. Nothing so far this year. I'm getting worried and would like to leave town again. Maybe I can visit kathyr or head to Mexico.

5:49 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Just read about your mission of mercy over at Perils. Nice story. We had our two days of rain. Got a good soaking, and today the sun is shining brightly. Hope your sunny days continue, and that black ice has long since melted.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home