Saturday, February 02, 2008

Chirping explained

There are always Anna's Hummingbirds zipping around our neighborhood, making their distinctive sounds. Evidently these chirps are produced by their tail feathers during dives, not by busy little throats. It was pleasant to listen to them and try to spot them, however they produce the skritchy noise, as I looked for snowdrops on the way to the store. There is some aconite flowering at a nearby park, bright yellow buttercup-y looking blossoms, along with some pale violet iris which have been at it since before Christmas. I've never seen winter-blooming iris. It must be getting different signals than I am about the temperatures.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously? That's not a chirp?

Wow. I learn something every day.

12:00 PM  
Blogger JS said...

I know very little about hummingbirds...except that they're amazing. I certaintly don't know the difference between types. But now I've at least seen a picture of Anna's Hummbingbirds. I wish I'd have occasion to see hummingbirds around my house...but it's very rare to see them around my place.

12:00 PM  
Blogger JS said...

That would be Hummingbirds...without the first b.

12:01 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yep, it was over on that science blog pharyngula yesterday. Even had a graph depicting the bird's dive, etc. I know, a riveting psot. But life goes on in small ways sometimes...

There are lots of hummingbirds in Arizona and Mexico, so it's not your climate. Must be a lack of attractive habitat, john. Have you tried feeders?

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home