Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Bridge on a rope

Several of us women Of A Certain Age managed to connect at the climbing gym. No decks of cards appeared, but we had much conversation as we climbed, belayed, and stood waiting for our turns. Everybody seems to have or had a parent or two or more in decline, and all are pondering and worrying about what's next for them. I think there should be a book similar to Dr. Spock's regarding the care of aging family members. I've not seen or heard of any such useful guide. Read about one titled "How to Take Care of Parents Who Never Took Care of You", or some such malarkey. Our generation needs sensible how-to, not snarky snappiness. I think perhaps the tsunami of elderly people hasn't really registered on the horizon, but it will.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

My parents are gone, but TMotH's are both kicking at 87. And, BOY, do they refuse to go quietly, etc. My dad was the same way. I expect to be similarly difficult. I've told my son to "just put me in the home! A nice home!" But that's easier said.

7:43 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I remember reading an article a while back by a professor/doctor who had some very enlightening things to say about our aging parents. I'll see if I can find it and send it your way.

Great idea about the Dr. Spock book.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home