Sunday, October 18, 2009

unscorched earth

Soggy all over; some folks have standing water in their yards. Calm, mild and pleasant day, so the land may drain; to where, is a puzzle.
We walk out later for a liquid dessert; one of the waitresses was telling us about her courses at the UW this fall. One is supposedly an entry level philosophy class, which she is finding difficult and deadly. She can't drop it, as her funding depends upon her credits. She mentioned the readings, which included Plato, Descartes, Locke, among others; my heart goes out to her. The stuff, I always thought, was horrifically masculine and impenetrable. My mother read a lot of philosophy in her undergrad years, and she observed that she thought it was a bunch of men arguing about very little.

2 Comments:

Blogger Taradharma said...

ha! I agree with your mom. (thanks for stopping by)

one of the most awful classes I had in college (BFA, too!) was the Philosophy of Aesthetics. OMG.

12:06 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

TD, I had a Philosophy of Education class in grad school that about led to blows with the prof! He was conservative, religious, and made no bones about letting us know. I think he gave me a lower grade to punish me for daring to confront him!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home