Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Batty

Beloved offspring had a close encounter with a bat while climbing, and has been enduring the rabies vaccination process for days. This has left his mom with a sustained case of the what-the- fuck stressouts; after a conversation with him today, feeling better. Ironically we both like bats for their insect consumption and general elegance; too bad about this disease-carrying problem.
Beloved nonegenarian was a bit sleepy this morning when I visited, but as she observed, it was just that kind of day, foggy and slow to brighten. One of the residents passed away the other day, a Japanese/American woman I'd only seen once, dozing in her wheelchair in the sun. My mother's friend knew her, and remarked that it was a shock, someone here one day and then gone. This is reminding me of Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go"...
Great new music for the band's holiday show; I am heartened by my improved sight-reading capacity, as well as our section leader's entrusting me with a couple of 2nd clarinet parts. Planning to hear him play in an orchestra on Sunday, along with some new buds from the trumpet section. I feel like we've hit a motherlode of wonderful people in this band.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the close encounter with the bat. Another blogging buddy just went through the rabies vaccination process a while back (also bat related). She managed pretty well with it.

Glad to hear that the clarinet playing is going so well.

8:11 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yes, he just got the first of a series of "after shots", or whatever they are, and seems to be feeling pretty good.
The band experience is getting better all the time as I am able to contribute more.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home