Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Tending to this neglected plot of a blog...

So! Back from five days in Myrtel Beach, SC, spent with members of my dear spouse's family; the weather, by my lights, was good, the beach was long, uncrowded, and always fascinating to me. We saw a small shark struggling to get back out to deeper water after grounding itself a few times, according to a nearby observer; several ospreys hunting; squadrons of dignified-looking pelicans soaring, diving into the drink, or cruising the wave crests; innumerable beached large medusa jellyfish and what appeared to be orange sponges or soft corals, as well as some clumps of either sponges or coral that resembled monkey brains - squirting monkey brains; and the grand finale - while out watching some of the family surf cast - we sighted several dolphins feeding not so far offshore. There were snapping turtles sunning by the ponds near the condos, and a five foot long little 'gator, and many herons and a few egrets, as well as mocking birds, cardinals and blue jays. Early evenings, you could hear mourning doves. Only lack for me: not a jot of landscape higher than those stranded jellyfish, so I did get a bit of climbing withdrawal. But the long beach walks made up for it, as did catching up with the spouse's family.
Got me mum out for her walk late this morning, and returned to call her oldest living friend back in Cincinnati. The lady's declining, I think, but my mom got to laughing, and managed to coax a sort of conversation out of her old friend, who sleeps much of the time now...she sounds pretty feeble to me, but Mother enjoyed hearing her voice. I wonder how much longer we will be able to do so.
Back to running and a Nautilus workout; tomorrow, over to the climbing gym to see if I still remember how to do it.
The evening has become absolutely gorgeous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home