Thursday, January 19, 2006

Bits and oddments

It's cold. It's cloudy, but not raining, so I'm off to run hills and lift weights. Only way to keep any semblence of fitness.
As I ran uphill towards home this afternoon, I passed a Thai restaurant we like. They make wonderful phad thai, as well as the best spicy noodles, wide ones, with tofu, basil and other ingredients, that I've ever had. The staff was sitting at a table in the window, chowing down on something, oh, probably one of their terrific noodle dishes, I figured. I drew near, passed, and looked in to see them digging enthusiastically into a steamy plate of... pecan caramel sticky buns. They didn't look particularly happy, but they were indeed eating with great relish, it seemed.
Was thinking about the movie "Brokeback Mountain." It seems as strange to me that lgrt advocates would be all het up aout it "validating" gay relationships as it does that rightwingnuts are up in arms about how it's going to turn all the kids who see it gay. IT'S FICTION, FOLKS!!!! Both sides are idiotic for putting too much stock in a flick that Hollywood only made because they wanted to cash in on the controversy of gay rights. IT'S ABOUT MONEY!!! Period. But guess what, people are so stinking dumb they think either it's some wonderful honor for gays, or dangerous for kids. Come on - how many of you base your life on stories? Fiction, which, although it may point up some truths if it's any good, is basically a pack of lies.
Good grief. Grow some gray cells, folks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Isa. You tempt me with the stickybun reference. My dad makes some really delicious ones on very special occasions. You can't find those anywhere but home. Even so, sticky buns are a little slice of heaven, no?

On the Gay Cowboy movie, it seems interesting to me that so many folks are up in arms about it. If you don't like to see two men getting it on, don't go - and don't send your kids to go see it. But, protest a movie? Come on. You're right about it being about selling tix. The film has been sold out in our fair city for many weeks - it's only playing on three screens. So, I suppose there are some folks who want to see it.

I went, just as a matter of self disclosure. I went with my gay brother-in-law. We both loved it. Bear in mind that if you haven't seen it and wish to, it's not an altogether chipper movie - not your traditional film and not a traditional ending - which is rather refreshing from the American film industry.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I think the success of that movie, and also that transgender movie, and all those other gay movies, just proves that all of America has gone gay. I'm worried that they'll take over Congress and outlaw heterosexual marriage. And then they'll start showing 'Queer Eye' reruns in grammar schools.

10:15 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Brokeback Mountain has finally made it to our little corner of the hill. Yes, I'm going to see it tonight. I'm thinking that if it was a movie about two women, well, I don't think there would be as much as controversy. There was a sign at my unviversity that said, "Girl on Girl on action." So, my thoughts, they don't want to show a movie that depicts men who are in love, but they advertise two girls, that is erotic. Hey, girls on girls. YeaH!

4:48 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, I read the collection of Proulx's short stories, Close Range, which contained the story from whence came the film. I thought the stories weren't particularly wonderful, including "Brokeback Mountain." But Hollywood really doesn't care about the literary merits of its sources. It just pimps 'em for the bling.
I am not interested in the movie because it sounds sort of mushy, and I don't like sentimental mushy love stories, on the silver screen or on the printed page. Hated the novel The English Patient, could not stand watching all of it, for example.
Maybe if my beloved spouse gets "BM" on netflix, I'll take a peek, but I guess I'm a curmudgeonness about fiction.
Yeah, the entire nation's been infected!!! Hey, wait... how come, if film is so powerful, big groups of born agains aren't walking aorund in groups, flagellating one another, per "The Passion of the Christ?"
Heh. Girl on girl. Some nice older lady on another site posted about how she went to see "Brokeback Mt." at a matinee, and just about the whole theater was full of women! She joked about how women like "boy on boy" as much as guys like "girl on girl!" Regarding that topic:
I am about done reading Alan Hollinghurst's novel The Line of Beauty, and I gotta say, scenes in which he wrote about a character manipulating his foreskin to turn on a pick up did NOT thrill me. Nor did numerous scenes about oh, this and that between two or three gay men.
But I think I am picky about literary depections of sex. It is difficult to render well, it too often comes off (heh heh) as silly or odd.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home