Saturday, January 07, 2006

Soggy ground

We've had something like 3 weeks of days with measurable precipitation, whatever that's supposed to mean; I thought all precipitation was measurable. Yeah, so, wet. Saturation point wet, with landslides abounding, getting the TV "news" droids all hot, hoping for a family or two to be buried in mud to perk up their worthless nightly pablum. Or maybe more domestic violence, caused by pent up people going slowly mad. I despise the weather Barbie that chirps,"Well, we're going to have a very very soggy January!" She must be jetting off to Palm Springs on weekends with one of the other droids, for golf and hot Republican sex. She looks a little bit TAN to me...
Beloved son called this evening from Joshua Tree National Park; it had been 80 degrees there today, perfect weather. I'm finding it hard to make the leap of faith, that I can bring some shorts to wear this next week when we get down there. Summer clothes in the daytime, and down jackets at night.
Eerily, Elizabeth Bowen's short stories frequently depict weather conditions identical to ours. So I sit up in bed, with rain lashing the windows, and read about winter rain in the English countryside in the 1930's...one could lose one's composure...

4 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

LOL! Nothing like a little positive weather-reinforcement fiction! Oh, I suppose you could find SOMETHING more dreary. But I just can't think of what that might be. But hey, it's a beautiful dreariness, right? If it's gonna be dreary, you might as well have Elizabeth Bowen describing it. Hope it dries out for your guys.

9:18 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Here in NW Arkansas, we are having drought conditions, in fact, all over the state and Ok, and Tx wild fires are breaking out. We normally have cold and wet this time of the year, but things have changed. I'm sitting with my patio door open and it is like a spring day. Send us some of your wet and sloushy. Please, before the cows dehydrate, the fish die, the wells run dry, before the little wild animals have no place to drink, the worms break in the hard packed dirt. Okay, you get it, we are dry and thirsty.

6:41 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Neil - Oh, t'was merely sunny serendiptidy that the fictional climate coincided with ours! I don't think I'll actually seek out anything to read with worse weather in it...
zelda,I surely do wish we could divet a week of our measurable precip down your way...
Lol, kathyr! Yes, golf can serve as a sublimation technique!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Take a look at your boarding pass today. YOU're flying off to Palm Springs. I'll dress up as a Republican if you bring your French maid's outfit.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home