Monday, January 09, 2006

It takes a village of luggage...

...to be prepared to camp, uh, shall we say rustically. There will be no running water, well, no water at all, other than what we bring in. We're taking a brand new tent we haven't tested out yet; maybe this evening we can open it on the rug upstairs? Sleeping bags, pads, clothes, really cool little mess kits we just got from REI, our son's accoutic guitar...not too sure how this will all get lugged about.
Okay, packing up is pretty much done: four big gear bags, and a daypack each. Plus the kid's guitar. clothes to cover just about every eventuality except a blizzard.
Off to the hallowed rocks of Joshua Tree - I shall report anon.

3 Comments:

Blogger zelda1 said...

I hate to camp, hate the tent, feel naked to the world, hate the toilets or lack of toilets, hate the lack of running water, electricity, and I don't want to be far from a computer port thingy. So, Mr. Zelda and I planed a camping trip, bought the stuff, and after the first hour at the camp site, even before the tent was erected, I say, "Can I stay at the hotel in town and just come spend the day here?" He says, "You don't want to do this?" I say, "Nope, not really." Okay, that was he realized that I am not a camping kind of gal, but we do go to the woods a lot, I just like to come out when it gets dark.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Bon Voyage! Look forward to your reports when you return.

11:10 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

It's almost midnight on Saturday, and we just got back about half an hour ago...I'm going to bed!
kathy - I took Allen Hollinghurst's Line of Beauty - the 2004 Booker Man Prize winner - and didn't touch it until the return flight this evening. More later...
Zelda, I haven't slept so well as I did in our cozy little tent, for MONTHS!
Manana, neil.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home