Saturday, February 18, 2006

Two cat night

Last night was one to burrow under layers of flannel and down, along with a couple of cats in detente to stay warm, and make some reading progress. I finished Bowen's To the North; I think I should take a break from her work, I'm starting to feel as if I'm reading her mind as well as her words. Hesse's not quite the right direction, but since this is "assigned" reading, and not entirely odious - just suspiciously preachy from time to time - I shall persevere. It isn't junk, after all, not your trashy airport best seller, but he does exasperate me every so often. A bit too masculinely "profound." I keep thinking I need to cut him some slack, since he was living in even more hideous times than ours - or was he? He happened to live at the epicenter of the horrors mankind perpetrates upon itself. We, in fat-ass smugly stupid America, have been fortunate to be at the fringe for quite some time. That won't last.
Did a little checking on Herr Hesse. Seems as though, after WWI, he had pacifist leanings, not popular at the time; he also had some sort of personal crisis, went to a shrink, got hisself psychoanalyzed, decided he'd been living a lie as a family man, and hied himself off to Switzerland for the rest of his life, as in about 30 years' or so worth. Cracked. Not sure I feel so much of an inclination to cut him slack...
My beloved spouse has returned from the wilds of Wisconsin, tardy and tired. He even brought me a little bag of fancy mix snax from his sojourn in First Class! It's great to have him back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

what about them small dogs, Isa? Do they belly up in the frost?

By the way, have you ever conducted my little Airport experiment - while waiting for your next flight, have a gander at incoming flights as they passengers deplane - observe. How many fat, white men get off before some one different exits the gangway? I usually make a mental bet depending on where the plane is arriving from. Call it windspike's good ol' boy test of first classedness.

Blog on sister.

2:57 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I don't fly too often, and not much in First Class, but the last time I did, coming back to Seattle from Joshua Tree, via the Palm Springs Memorial Republican Asshole Airport,there certainly were some well-fed bubbas up there, but also, one bony-assed Repub former senator from Washington, Slade Gorton. My beloved spouse, not a good ole boy, finagled us seats up there with some coupons. I tell him we stuck it to The Man!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home