Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bluebird skies and a moonglow night

One of my usual climbing companaions bailed on me this morning, so it's been kind of a hanging around sort of day. Just as well. Got my mom out for a total of seven blocks of walking, including a couple this afternoon during which we didn't need our coats. Very thrilling! The skies were lovely, except for a gigantic anvil-shaped thunderhead that threatened for a while, but gradually dissipated as it drifted eastward.
Beloved spouse, beloved son and I went out for a walk about 8:00. The air was completely still, and Lake Union was black glass, reflecting city lights. A nearly full moon illuminated veils of clouds as they drifted below. A group of young Asian people were grouping and re-grouping as they took photos of themselves against the city skyline at the south end of the lake. We three climbed up Kite Hill for another drink of the views, then went on up the hill to home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If I had a dime every time some asian person snapped a photo in this town...would I be racist for suggesting this?

7:17 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Hmmm. No,do you think I was being racist? It was straight reportage.
The first time I observed the phenomenon of Asians doing the switcharoo in group photos was, in fact, outside of Coit Tower, in August of 1977. Just one of those things.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Hey, I., thanks for the little Gilgamesh mythology lesson over in the comments at my place. Be nice to give the old Matriarchal Society another try, wouldn't it?

3:57 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

I was looking for fossils and Mr. Zelda and I were climbing down in this dry river bed, and I hear a commotion and look and there are some asian students taking pictures, just like you said. I offer to man their camera so they can all be in the photo, they want to take a picture of Mr. Zelda and me. I show them my find, they show me theirs. We all look at some moss and lickens and they are scraping some off, to take back to their apartment. They are studying geology at the same university where I am studying literature. I gave them one of my rocks. This was early fall. My first impression was they were tourists, and I had that little stereotypical vision of the Asian family doing the photo thing. Yeah! Doesn't make me a racists. Nope, because not one time did I look down on them, think they were less than I, nor did I ever feel that they shouldn't be there, in my little river bed looking for rocks.

8:07 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Neil, I'm not so sure about a matriarchal society. Depends on the women in charge. Think about the horrible ones surrounding W. right now - i.e., you want condimelda in charge?? Thatcher was awful, so was Indira Ghandi, evidently. It would truly depend on who the "matriarchs" were...

Zelda, sounds like a sweet little incident!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

I was wondering aloud if I was racist for suggesting the photo phenom, not you. Sorry for the implication. With digital file sharing, it's a wonder why so many people take the same picture of the same location, anyway. Why don't we all just download the best one of each monument?

11:29 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Which "best," though, 'spike? As an art teacher, I have this firmly rooted position that each of us has his/her view to express or create. Granted, many of them are dull to others, or seemingly the same, but are potentially to be created.
Oh, no worries. I definitely have my biases, though, and growing hatreds for SOME people; it's not racially based, however! ;)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home