Sunday, March 05, 2006

Not nice now

The damned weather gremlins heard me yesterday, and are punishing us with cold and rain. Beloved spouse had to go to Milwaukee this morning, left on the shuttle at 6:00. The cats and I repaired again to bed, perchance to sleep. I read in this morning's paper that sleeping for too long is bad for you; I'd like to see how that works. I rarely seem to sleep enough hours consecutively to feel good.
Late this morning, my mother and I headed out for her walk. As we reached the sidewalk in front of our house, we looked across the street and saw two of our friends' chickens teetering atop the fence to their side yard. I rushed over to shoo them back onto the ground, but they gazed at me brazenly and refused to budge, so I gave them a gentle prod with the end of my furled umbrella, which they protested loudly. By the time we'd made it up our block and down the other side to see them, they were back up on the fence. We flapped our arms at them, effectively this time, and left, hoping they would stay put until their owners returned.
Went out this afternoon for a session at the climbing gym with one of my friends. She told me the guy who's been managing the gym has cancer. He also has a pregnant wife and a baby about a year old. A very nice young man; we're trying to figure out what we can do to help him and his little family.
Geeze. The Academy Awards SUCK. Jon Stweart's coming across like a kid who's been threatened with the paddle one too many times. I'm outta here.

6 Comments:

Blogger JLLove said...

Wish we could share some of our nice weather. Three weeks ago we had fresh snow. Now it's in the 70's!

Cancer is such a horrible disease. 4 of 5 members of my better half's family have had it including her. I hope your Gym mgr has good health and life insurance. His wife will need good listeners.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know. Some of the sublime humor of Stewart was funny, but it was nonetheless not an overly astonishing show. It never really has been, has it. Just a bunch of over paid weenies glad handing eachother and patting themselves on the back for making goo goobs of money.

4:42 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

jllove, I just looked at your photos from your trip out here to the Pacific NW. Very good - you got a great one down at the Pike Place Market, and of Mt. St. Helens. It's a scenic area, eh?

'spike - Hollywood's "art" is so - trite!!! But I guess I'm a snob about fiction.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

trite is good. What I love is a melencholy remake of a overly morose sequel.:-) Hollywood some times gets it right, however. Have you seen Bob Roberts? That would send a shiver down your spine as to how prescient Tim Robbins was.

Even so, there is no substitute for great fiction...I'm a sucker for it. I just picked up Red Cavalry - its a translation of an old russian novel - written in 1923. So far, it's got my attention.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Did anyone else notice that the set looked like the inside of a giant pinball machine?

12:59 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Yes, yes, they did suck. I never watch them, never. I think it is a big waste of time. Who cares, really, which actress showed her cleavage or her crack and why do we care who won the best actor or actress, it only means something to them, they get more moeny. Don't they get enough already? This time of year sucks, I hate it, and then there are the sports people. Even distribution, that's all I ask for, I just want a little of that billionair money to circulate. Is that too much to ask?

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home