Sunday, March 26, 2006

Climbing? What's that?

Hadn't been UP anything since last Saturday, and was able to round up a partner for the afternoon. She was even rustier than I, but we had a good session at the gym. Talked to some tanned and rested folks who hadn't been up anything for months, but had been traveling around over the winter months, to Hawaii, and I forget where else. Ah, I'd still prefer camping in J-Tree, any time, except when it's miserable there. Talked with a friend who's going to Indian Creek, Utah, for the big crack climbing. She said there'd been a not particularly pleasant development: People are now required to pack out all human waste. The logistical details are not enjoyable to deliniate. My friend and I who climbed the Grand Teton had to do this, but it was only for a couple three days. Well, it is easier on the environment, no scads of people burying their wastes, but could get nasty if you are staying for any length of time. One couple I know will be there for a month. No doubt they'll have to make..um... frequent offloading runs to the borderline. Ah, wilderness.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

Friday I leave for Joshua Tree. I'm hoping the weather breaks. Here we have been getting nothing but rain. I have a new back pack - GoLite Speed that I picked up with my REI rebate and the 20% coupon. Also, bought a new harnes for climbing. So, looking forward to being in the wilderness.

Blog on sister, blog on.

11:16 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, I hope you take a whole lot of photos, and put some up on your site! Oh, check out the weather for that area, it looks fantastic, 70's - 80's, clear or partly cloudy. I guess it's not REAL wilderness, unless you get out in the area of the park called
The Wonderland, where it sounds like you can run, hike, scramble, climb and feel, other than the planes heading into LAX, that you're really out of touch with civilization.
And sometimes there's some noise at night, but it's supposed to get quiet at 10:00.
Oh, man. It sounds so good right now...

1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm bringing all the usual toys, Isa - running shoes. Climbing gear. Musical instrument...penny whistle if you must know. And, I will be bringing the camera with a new CF card I got at costco with 1 gig of memory. Should find plenty of shots to upload. Hope to get one or two on the blog for fun.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home