Saturday, March 18, 2006

Out like a sodden lion

Yet the day took a very pleasant turn, as my friend and longest term climbing partner came over with her almost 16 year old daughter, the one learning to drive, and whisked me off to the climbing gym. Her kid is engaging and fun to be with, so we had a very good session. By the time we emerged, just before 2:00, the sun had appeared, and afforded my mother a terrific five block walk, no fainting, no weird motor failures, and much appreciation of our neighbor's profusion of daffodils. The latest bunch to begin opening have a ruffled trumpet the color of lox, a lovely translucent salmony-pink hue. So glad there are a few avid gardeners on the block, to offset my...er...self-mulching parking strip... In my defense, I shall say that it's a mostly shady area, and it's hard to find plants that are both shade and drought tolerant. Oh, sure, plenty of noxious weeds, but nothing really appealing. Hm, maybe pot?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

too bad you don't live in CA, Isa. you could grow the weed and sell it for use as medicine, no? Killing two birds with one stone!

11:55 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

My spring flowers are all opened up and those beautiful daffodils and jonquels, and the others that I don't know the name, well they are more beautiful than I ever remember. My tulips are open and so are the hyacinths. I just wish that I were home all week to enjoy them. That's the trouble with living in one place and only visting home, I am missing all the beautiful flowers. Last week, my plum tree bloomed out and looked like a giant snow ball. In a few more weeks, pink blooms will appear and then tiny plums. Can't wait.
I'm glad your mom is getting around so well these days. Hopefully her health will improve or maintain. Enjoy the spring flowers.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Don't know about that, I. I think pot needs a bit of sun. But you could just 'repurpose' your neighbor's flowerbeds!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home