Friday, March 24, 2006

Off to see a sunroom

After a morning of getting my mom to her Hairdo Day, walking, visiting the chickens and getting one to go back in its yard after it did a coop break, getting lunch for my mother, the Beloved Spouse and I walked out to take a look at a nearly finished sunroom project that was almost identical to what we have been considering. I've been kind of skeptical about the concept, mostly because it's pricy, and because I was having doubts about if it was the best use of the money. But you know, after seeing this room almost done, I was...smitten. SO much light is suddenly there, captured, and the woman of the house said,"You should see it at sunset." It faces west, to the Olympic Mountains on the horizon, and she said it could be spectacular. Now I just want it to be done. I guess we need to check some other options.
We went to Third Place Books, a great new/used bookstore and coffee house not too far from this sunroom project, and found almost every book we needed, including the collected essays of Elizabeth Bowen - I am ecstatic over that find - Jamaica Kincaid's Autobiography of My Mother, and two book group picks for Beloved Spouse, Henry James's The American, which I'm passing on, and Marilyn Robinson's Gilead. Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" was playing in the background, and I could have stayed until its end, finding more treasure.
On our way back home, we were near a storefront that sells bamboo products, including flooring. The stuff is gorgeous, and the residential material is in the $2.50-$4.50 per square foot range. You can get it tiles that lock together and "float" on top of the surface you're covering, no nailing or gluing necessary. Uh oh. I am getting into the remodeling zen state... speaking of which, this store was so peaceful, just the sound of little bitty fountains running, and full of bamboo poles, furniture, this and thats. Many pleasant vibes acquired during activities I'd usually avoid.
Last stop before home was Zoka's for a cup of coffee. I never go in there to sit, just to get a bag of coffee beans and a cookie, if I am weak. Very pleasant, a lovely end to the afternoon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Oh oh, baby! Watch out! That sounds like a case of remodeling flu coming on big time.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now I might be a bit ignernt about the Pacific N'West, but isn't "sun room" an oxymoronic term there?

Watch out, I've got friends installing the trendio bamboo flooring - it's a whole lot of nice with all the sustainability of marajuana plants. The bamboo grows just like grass - no problemo.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Yeah, Spike, I think the guy at the store said not to water the floor after midnight - something like that.

11:48 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Bamboo, oh my.
One of my friends from high school has bamboo plants growing in her house and in her yard, she has cain or is it cane. Anyway, I always feel so relaxed when I'm at her house, I think it's the bamboo. She has given me little cups of Bamboo to grow on my own, and I do have a green thumb, but I think I'm too hyper for Bamboo because it always dies. I think Bamboo floors would be so cool. I say do it.

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home