Thursday, April 06, 2006

Beautiful lines

Well, this bloody stupid internet ether just scrooched my nascent post! Let's see, what was I saying....
Oh - there have been a few folks out there who have made note that it is National Poetry Month, which I think should be celebrated continuously, along with any form of "(fill in the blank) History Month," or any sort of one day celebration of parenthood or personage. I have posted a couple of contributions on sites which called for one's favorite poems, lyrics or lines, and I shall put up a couple of selections here.
These are from Anna Swir, a Polish poet who lived from 1909-1984. She was a member of the Resistance, served as a military nurse in a makeshift hospital during the Warsaw Uprising, and once waited an hour expecting to be executed.
Here is one of her poems:

The Soul and the Body on the Beach
The soul on the beach
studies a textbook of philosophy.
The soul asks the body:
Who bound us together?
The body says:
Time to tan the knees.

The soul asks the body:
Is it true
that we do not really exist?
The body says:
I am tanning my knees.

The soul asks the body:
Where will the dying begin,
in you or in me?
The body laughs,
It tanned its knees.

And here's another:

I Do Not Accept

I renounce this fingernail
already worn
by my grandfather.
This head occupied
for two thousand years
by the bloody body of Julius Caesar.

The dead sit on me
like a mountain. The carrion
of barbaric epochs,
of bodies and thoughts decays in me.
Cruel corpses of centuries
ask
that I be as cruel as they.

But I am not going to repeat
their dead words.
I have to give myself
a new birth. I have to
give birth to a new time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

Good poetry is timeless, no?

P.S. posted two J-tree trek pics yesterday. Finally got through the whole batch and my post a pictoral review for the weekend.

9:43 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

It's from a collection of hers, called Talking to My Body, put out by a local publisher, Copper Canoon Press, kathy. She's very distilled, I would call it.

'spike, I'd anjoy seeing all of them! My husband has a link to a batch he took down there, too. We could trade batches. My email's betsio@yahoo.com

11:01 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Those are great. (BTW: Love your idea of filling the water hazards with catsup on golf courses. Maybe gunpowder in the sand traps?)

2:58 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ah, neil, something about the relentless horros of our current situation inspires me to bizarre ideas.
(better gunpowder than underaged girls...)

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home