Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cruel, crueler, cruelest...

Sigh of relief. I am always glad to have negotiated a trip into downtown Seattle and its fringes successfully, with no horror shows on the freeway, or clotted traffic through the city. My mother enjoys going back towards home through the city center, to look at the people thronging the sidewalks, the Seattle Library Central Branch building, which is a very impressive-looking architectural machine for...well, not living, and not really the best design inside for a library, but it of course LOOKS way cool, has to be, having been designed by a very famous and expensive guy named Koolhaus...
Phase one of her dental renewal went nicely, and there were no fainting or falling down spells. While she was in the dentist's chair, I of course trotted around the International District, picking up items at Iwajimaya's, and visiting a small Asian grocery not far from the dentist's office. I was looking for fish sauce, but their stock looked kind of congealed and dangerous. I also passed on the banana blossom buds, but am interested in what they are like, prepared as vegetables. Maybe similar to artichokes?
It grows colder by the minute, and I need to go running.
Not bad, if you keep moving fast enough; and you have all of Green Lake to yourself, other than the flocks of widgeons, ducks, coots and other water birds wisely layed up on the leeward side of the lake. You know something bad is coming when big flocks of seagulls are waddling around on the soccer fields and baseball diamonds. It's only weather, wind, rain, clouds and chill, not fallout.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

I am reminded of that old movie shot in Seattle: Singles. One of the lead characters is advocating for a new high speed public transit system/train. The town really needs something, but as to what, I don't know. The auto industry needs replacement as not sustainable, in any case.

Blog on.

2:39 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

kathyr, widgeons are water birds; they kind of look like ducks, except with a pointier bill. They don't quakc, but make this sort of sweet wheezy sound.

Dang, 'spike, I would love some kind of good transit system here, but it ain't gonna happen. We're going through what California has gone through already, being married to our cars. The freeways around here haven't begun to gridlock.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ptelea said...

Believe it or not, I love the cold rainy weather. I find that all of this sun in Colorado can depress me as much as the endless gray in Seattle does others. Green Lake you say - I spent several months(mid 1970's) in the home of my ex mother-in-law within walking distance (N 98th St.)of Green Lake. Walking and running around it kept me sane!

9:02 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

ptelea, I have heard from other people who live in relentlessly sunny climates that it can be as oppressive as constant drippy gloom. On the whole, I guess I'd rather be a bit damp and chilly than shriveled up with drought.

glenda, can't send the weather, but I'll come over to your site and list my favorite ten books at the moment...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I saw some pictures of that library. It does look cool. Nice play for the Homeland Security toughs to hang out! Didn't know the architect's name was 'Koolhaus'. (Is that right? Really?) You're correct. In that case it HAS to be Kool...

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home