Saturday, April 15, 2006

Desperate furry friends

So cold last night, in mid-April, that both our nutty cats clung to the bed as if it were a life raft upon ice-swirled Arctic waters; even the loonier one, the one who's gradually going bush and spending most of his life beneath the front porch. Now, in early afternoon, Mr. Loony is pressed against my back in my computer chair, inexorably moving me forward by dint of the pressure of his tiny feet.
And yet again I face the hour of exercise, time to run to the gym, and yet again, I am out in front of an enormous black bank of storm clouds. By the time I got done at the gym, it was raining and dark by mid-afternoon. As I headed up the hill towards home, the rain seemed...heavier... and the sky grew darker. If only it doesn't hail, thought I to myself. In the next few minutes, I was able to test my resolve concerning a claim that I have often made:"I'd rather run in a hail storm than spend time on indoor exercise machines!" Down it came, or sideways, in fact, and I ran on, covering my eyes from the assault. Once you are caught by weather in this way, you must keep up the pace in order to stay warm. I got up the hill in very good time. We saw on the news that they experienced golf ball sized hail to the north of us; I suffered only the usual pea-sized stuff.
The batch of bread dough I'd gotten ready for its first rise was ready to form into a braided loaf upon my return. I'd made a holiday type egg bread, with four of our friends' amazingly yellow-yolked eggs in it, as well as plenty of honey. It produced a fabulous big loaf, extremely delicious right out of the oven. There's a wad of dough in the fridge reserved for tomorrow's dinner rolls.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

47 degrees this AM in a light rain for my run...up and over the hills, and no crowds on the roadways makes for a nice run. the rain keeps the wimps inside.

Give me a ring when the buns are done. Ilove hot buns with dinner.:-)

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home