Thursday, June 08, 2006

X-tremism

Mostly I was thinking about Ann Coulter and her evil-spirited money-making ranting. Thoughtful people have been saying that now not even the rightwingin' can excuse or support her any longer. Wrong. They are, and will continue to do so. Thoughtful people keep saying she should be ignored, but I disagree. She has access to national exposure that everyday thoughtful people do not in order to counter her bizarre poisonous outpourings. I have been thinking about her antecedents, who they might be, other than Joseph McCarthy. There was a priest back in the 40's and 50's who used to spew forth hatred on his radio show, Father Coughlin. He was pro-fascist and anti-Semitic that I've heard about, maybe racist as well. He carried on in the excrable traditions that came out of Jim Crow laws. Coulter's just the tarted-up version of this nastiness, and she's worse in a way because she claims to be using humor. Poison Supreme Court Justice Stevens? "Just kidding!" screeches Coulter. Thoughtful people perhaps ought to research how previous hatemongerers were put out of business. Racist laws were repealed, Coughlin was ordered by his Archbishop to cease his propagandizing or be de-frocked. I don't want to see Coulter out of her frock - it's hideously short enough already! - but I think she should start facing consequences for her words. Time for a big "X" on her. Off the list.

4 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

It's what she does. It's how she sells books and it how she makes money. The sad part is there are people out there willing to pay to read her hate. They're the ones I worry about

1:08 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

They will always be with us, I suppose.
She's really a high-profile troll, and bloggers deal with them in a number of ways, among them: Ignore,confront, or delete. Ignoring her seems difficult, so people can attempt to confront her, say, with a libel suit or several, or she'll get so off the wall, no one will publish her any more and she'll be,in effect, deleted.
Well, although it could be profitable, I can't get into the idea of being a counter-monger. I'd have to be younger, blonder, and even more godless!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Isa, I love this phrase: "Coulter's just the tarted-up version of this nastiness, and she's worse in a way because she claims to be using humor." Sums it up quite nicely.

Blog on sister, blog on.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ptelea said...

I was fairly ignorant of her hateful rhetoric until I read some of the current articles today that had ugly quote after ugly quote. She really is vile and I wish the news would just stop reporting about her. After you have heard one sentence out of her mouth, you don't need to hear any more.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home