Monday, May 22, 2006

Misty and chilly

As expected, the weather's gone to wrack and rain. Coaxed my mother out for four blocks in between drizzles. Also talked with a neighbor who's an occupational therapist about strengthening exercises for the elderly. It seems increasingly important to get some more activities developed as her walking endurance declines. She seems better than she has been lately. I think both of us have been suffering the effects of all the tree pollens wafting about. I sweep thick yellow coatings off the front porch, and you can see it all over parked cars.
Strange developments on the neighbors' remodeling. There was a city car parked out front, and we saw that a "Stop Work" sign had been posted on the front of their house, so he had not obtained a permit. Since there have never been any posted, that was a likely conclusion. I didn't turn them in, having decided there wasn't much point to it with the project so far along. Maybe the city guy was just driving by and saw it. Who knows. So they have to get a permit. Well, that's what people are supposed to do, and I wonder why they think they can flaunt laws. It affects whole neighborhoods, especially if there are height limits violated, which I wonder about in this situation. Not much to do, except maybe build a lighthouse.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Scofflaws are only following the lead of the W, Rove and Co...saying, "hey, if the president doesn't need a warrant to tap my phone, I don't need a permit to build on my property." See what positive role models we have in the Whitehouse today? WMD, follow me!

9:02 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, people take chances and face consequences, although you have to wonder if it really serves as a deterrent. There seems to be this craze every where for building the hugest structure possible on small scale lots. I've heard of worse situations, as in Mexico, where the enforcement on building isn't keeping pace with development. People retire down there, build their dream homes, and then lose them or their nice surroundings for various reasons.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home