Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Free beans

The cafe near us roasts its own coffee beans, and if you are a loyal customer, they give you a free pound after each ten pounds you buy; also a free cup of coffee with every pound. You have to make it past their tempting pastry case, but it's worth the ordeal.
On a round of errands, I decided to go into Whole Foods - also known everywhere as Whole Paycheck - for a couple of skincare items. Sure. That's all. I consider myself impervious to that whole foodie bit, but things were on sale, things like organic cauliflower and vegetarian cheddar cheese from California. Then there was this loaf of wonderful bread I never see sold any place else, and butternut squash ravioli, and gnocchi. Sure, I could make all of those, but they were just lying there, looking alluring. Well, at least I resisted all the really caloric items which help make a cold damp winter more tolerable, and since I was on foot, there was only so much I could shlep home. No regrets.

3 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I wish we had whole food markets here. I read so much about them on the net and they sound wonderful.

12:19 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

pop, they're very expensive. Sure, they have lots of stuff to buy, but you can do better for veggies by going to local truck farmers or farmers' markets. We call them "Whole Paycheck" because that's what it'll cost you for a trip there.
And the Whole Foods company is run by a group in Texas, whose political donations might be interesting to examine...

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have succumed to their scones every so often, not to mention the cookies... These days, I don't step foot in there, however. I don't find I need to empty my wallet to get the same kind of quality in smaller, locally owned, independent opperations.

Psst. Here's one:
http://www.tartinebakery.com/

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home