Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Refreshed

Everyone seemed to benefit from a respite from the wet. We actually got ecstatic for about two minutes when we felt sun on our faces on a noontime ramble.
We watched most of a public TV special on Annie Leibowitz; intriguing to look at her old photographs from the early Rolling Stone Magazine days. The rock musicians were so young I couldn't always identify them, and I have no idea what was going through my mom's mind as she gazed upon Fleetwood Mac tangled up in satin sheets on a California King. Leibowitz started out after high school planning to be an art teacher, but after going to art school as a painting major, she switched to photography and her life's trajectory took off. Interesting that every one of her subjects, from Mick Jagger to Yoko Ono, commented on her ability to become unobtrusive, thoroughly unnoticed as she clicked away at their lives. "Annie Lou," as her mother called her, remarked during a session with Mikhail Barishnikov that the camera wasn't "the truth." Something to ponder.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Liebowitz is a genious behind the lens, but she may well be right, it ain't the truth. The truth is what happens after the shutter clicks.

Imagine, if you will, what happened after Mic Fleetwood and his pals were shot in the buff...and I'll leave your imagination to work on that for a bit

9:11 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I wish I had seen that Leibowitz special. She's definitely right about the camera not being the truth. There are always things outside the frame. And nowadays with photoshop I can create just about any illusion I can think of.

The sun. We had the sun all day on Thursday. It was windy, but oh it was sunny.

11:10 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, I'll pass on imagining anything along those lines...
Now, I do think truth can be captured via the camera, but maybe if only regarding landscapes, and if one does not do any doctoring to the image. I think there should be lots of documentation going on now, for example, with an aim to salvage what beauty we have left on this planet.

True, Robin, unless you're filming panoramically, there are things left out of the frame, but each image can be a fact.
And we had warmth on our faces on Tuesday morning! I thought I was tripping...

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home