Thursday, March 29, 2007

Choice cuts

Such a glorious day; my mother got out for a good walk, exercising her creaky bones, as she put it. When I went for a run and workout, there were three beautiful guitars on display at the gym, handmade by one of the long time members. They had an interesting cut away shape where they would rest on a knee, and lovely inlay work. I absently wondered how they sounded. As I got ready to leave, a teenaged club member came in and looked longingly at the guitars, and asked if he could try one. He got one off its stand, sat down and tuned it, and proceded to play a couple of old songs, including "Blackbird", which he sang very sweetly. One of the managers and I agreed they could have a talent show, as she's been discovering all the artistic things the members can do.
On a jaunt to the supermarket, I passed my favorite little glen full of fawn lilies. As I stood there admiring them, I saw a hummingbird zipping around, then perching on a branch above the flowers. It started making that chipping noise they do when aggrevated, and I saw a crow nearby; the hummingbird went straight for the crow, divebombing it and chipping away heatedly. The crow departed.

3 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Ah yes, the hummingbirds. They're back and buzzing like mad. I hung the feeder the other day, and one came so close, I thought it was going to land on my hand. Quite thrilling.

I would love to be able to pick up a guitar and play "Blackbird" just like that. I am seriously music-challenged. Can't play a single instrument, but do admire those who can.

Hey, I think this may be the third sunny morning in a row. I can hardly believe it.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Imperatrix said...

Hummingbirds are definitely not the peaceable creatures I thought they were. The one good thing about the first three months we spent in CA, in a highrise, was that our window was at the same height as the branches of a big old tree, and I would spend many of my unemployed daytime hours watching those territorial little buggers bickering.

8:29 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

We got to see hummingbirds in action several times in Oregon. Once while staying at a place near Cape Perpetua, there was a hedge along the house with something they liked blooming on it. There were swarms of them. They were jousting like medieval swordsmen, and I 've read that they will indeed stab one another in defense of territory! Another memorable encounter was during a hike on part of the Pacific Crest Trail near Ashland. We passed a goodsized growth of wild trumpet vine, and WE got divebombed by one or two very pissed-off hummers!
And Robin, musicians need audiences...

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home