Thursday, May 24, 2007

Staggery start

Rough out of the gates this morning; I thought we were due for more "spells", but by lunch time all was well. Got my mom out walking, got the old circulatory system humming, and we were off on the usual course.
Beloved son patched up my bicycle and we rode down to the UW climbing rock for some bouldering. It was sunny and breezy, gorgeous, but hot on the rocks, so it made it slick for climbing shoes. After about an hour of staying not too far from the ground, I rode on to the muscle gym to wear out the ones that weren't in shock from their first bike ride in quite some time. Seems as if there's more traffic on every street, from the arterials to the quieter backwaters, and of course some flossy-looking female in her white BMW SUV had to nearly knock me in the head with her side mirror as I was going up a steep hill. She had plenty of room, just needed to display her power or something. I don't like feeling as if I have to ride on the sidewalks with the strollers. Seattle could be much more "bike friendly", but until gas is over ten bucks a gallon, I don't see much changing.
Chekov was a sharply clinical sort of fellow; his characters are going under the knife at quite a pace.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told her to just give you a scare. Sounds like she got carried away.

3:17 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Nothing worse than an SUV driver with an attitude when you're out on your bike. The concept of sharing the road, or the commons is simply lost to them.

Glad your mom is feeling better.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

You are a sweet daughter to your dear mother.

Our old Mercedes Benzes run on salad oil, thank the lard.

The physician in Chekhov cannot be hidden. Phil doesn't throw tantrums about too much salt in the soup, does he? ;~)

12:00 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, Robin.

Absolutely right about Chekov, Babette. I've been thinking he must have seen so many different kinds of declines and deaths, he gets them right in the stories.
Well, my mother was always good to me.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home