Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Why I adore George Eliot

The current novel of hers that is engaging me is Romola, and it's wonderful to get her 19th century take on 15th century Florence, Italy. She has set the stage beautifully, if somewhat potentially claustrophobically, in the walled city state, from architectural details to the population's habits and diversions. Certain characters have already behaved in ways that set up reverberations which will eventually knock them to the wall. I am glad I have developed the right frame of mind to be patient with a thought process and manner of expression which seem to leave many people cold, or out cold. Eliot is a treasure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why I adore George Eliot"

-I knew there was some other guy!

5:44 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Naw, not even any of her male characters are appealing.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home