Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I love the coolness

The marine push has been in full force lately, after perfect hot days last week. Makes for lovely sleeping weather, and easier labor out in the yard.
I finished Eliot's Daniel Deronda, which was a wonderful huge novel, albeit oddly larded with Eliot's delvings into Judaism. I say oddly, since she evidently took it upon herself to become informed about Judaism, and ridding herself of her prejudices and ignorance; at times, the characters she voiced her newfound respect for the religion through seemed kind of forced. But I admire her efforts, and she seems to have turned her abandoned obsession with Christian evangelicalism to improving herself personally by shedding her negative impressions of Jewish people. This is a difficult and humbling effort for humans, I think, but if we all did even a tiny bit of this kind of improvement in ourselves, I believe the world would be a better place. Well, at least for a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing like a cool evening to produce great sleeping weather. I used to like to leave the window open when I lived closer to the water so I could hear the waves crashing in the distance. Now the bus noise prevents me from doing the same.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home