Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Breakfast of champions

Forgot we were out of the little chocolate muffins my mother has every morning with orange juice and a cafe au lait which I make for her. They'd been out of them at the store, so I'd made a plan B: Get her little chocolate doughnuts from Mighty-O, the vegan doughnut bakery and coffee house nearby. This is the same place Dave Matthews takes his twin daughters to on nice days; we see him every once in a while, and the last time, my mom said she'd like to ask him to sing for her. We watched part of his recent Red Rocks concert, and she enjoyed his mellow (and to my ear, bland) sound. I hope I'll remember to ask him for her, if we see him again.
Well, this morning they were out of little chocolate doughnuts, but I did score a couple of normal sized chocolate-glazed chocolate ones for a buck apiece. "Little chocolate doughnuts" were what the Craig Baker character John Belushi gave voice to on the National Lampoon Radio Hour claimed he ate as training food.
Manana I must go to put up the climbing route.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, you had mentioned these vegan chocolate doughnuts before. I must come to your neck of the wood to try them.

Today, beloved spouse brought back two morning buns from our favorite local sinful bakery location. The kids and I downed them in about two minutes. That's about right for morning buns, no? Two buns, two minutes.

7:26 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

So what is a morning bun? is it like a cinnamon bun? Hey, if you are ever in Seattle, come on around! If you are a vegetarian or vegan, there are some fine places. Of course, you probably have them aplenty down your way, too. I'll bet San Fran and its surrounds had vegetarian and vegan long before Seattle did.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The morning bun is a sumptious buttery treat with flour, sugar, cinamon and a hint of orange - served up warm (or pipping hot if you get there early enough). The things are very addictive and I can only go there once a month or even longer as I would grow very large sucking them up as they are easy to inhale with an espresso or my fav - the good old fashioned machiatto - not some starbuckified carmel candy coffee flavored milk drink.

3:02 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ah, my beloved spouse prefers the machiatto above all other espressso drinks. I'm a cappucino fan myself, like a bit of milk and a bunch of foam.
Morning buns sound delectable.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home