Friday, January 20, 2006

Los perritos redux

Once again I volunteered to get the Ferrari brothers out for their walk this morning. I had to do an unexpected airport run this morning in my beloved spouse's behalf, so I arrived a bit later than suggested, but the little fellows were still lounging about in their owners' bed. In fact, I think I woke them up. They were stretching and rolling over for tummy scratches when I went in to get them. As usual, it was cold and drizzly, and they were not thrilled about going outside, particulary the younger one. As soon as any kind of waste product was eliminated, they turned tail for the house.
Later in the afternoon, the rains halted for a bit, so I got my mother out for a bonus two blocks, then took off by myself down to Gasworks Park, a mile or so away at the bottom of our hill. The park was crawling with people taking pictures; the late afternoon light was astounding, blue skies on one side, low-angled sunshine creating dramatic shadows. The city skyline was dark gray on an even darker one, a dire backdrop with thin areas of illumination, and lighter scudding clouds layered like chine colle. Glints of sun broke though and reflected from distant passing vehicles, flashing on Lake Union's unusually glassy surface. Distorted reflections of buildings bled out onto the water, and two crew shells full of women rowers lurched along, accompanied by a cruiser containing their coach giving amplified corrections to their form.
I ascended Kite Hill, and caught the sun going down over Queen Anne Hill. Half walked, half jogged uphill towards home to get warm.
To bed indeed to read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

You paint a pretty picture with your words, I.

7:50 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, dang it, I'm workin' on it. It's a hard discipline, trying to use words rather than photos. Might as well give it a shot.
Thanks!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home