Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Yeasty beginnings

Time for another delectable batch of home made bread. Kneading it is most therapeutic, as I can imagine my fingers squeezing, squeezing, throttling...well, Mr. Rogers used to sing a song called "What Do You Do When You're Feeling Mad," and one lyric suggested pounding on a piece of clay, so if that mild-mannered, lovable old feller advised it, the activity must be somewhat productive in a sublimative fashion.
Made my mom happy by getting her to the hair salon. Once again, we're existing under conditions only a giant Pacific octopus could love, icy-temperatured water, sluicing down, flooding the low spots. Now, naturally, is the time slot I have in which to run.
It in fact became soothing to run along in the cold rain, pissing and grumbling about the state of the union; to squish into the gym and throw weights around; then to run back up a mile long towards home, feeling at least hollowed out, and warm, finally.
The bread is delicious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeast gives us all things great and good (bread, beer, etc...). I focus my attentions on high quality home made pizza dough. When its your own crust, who the bleep needs delivery or any of those fozen imposters? I use my dad's recipe - which is like 8 pages long giving a dissertation on yeast and what it likes.

We were up at about four Am. The young boy wouldn't go back to sleep. In the pissing drizzle, we laced up the shoes and pulled out the babyjogger for a run through the park. He loves it, and I get my run in. No sleep until just now 1:00 PM. Nap time all around here.

Blog on sister and enjoy the bread

1:06 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Arghh, your post brought back memories of my non-sleeping toddler! He would only doze off while I was running around Green Lake, about three miles or so. Then, of course, I'd be ready for a little rest, and he would be refreshed and ready to rip!
We've made quite a dent in last night's two loaves. I froze one, but nothing beats the loaf when it's freshly done and steaming...

4:47 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Sympathies on your weather out there. Sounds tragic...and unrelenting...a bit like Bush in that, you're right.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home