Saturday, January 28, 2006

Living underwater

The beloved spouse has safely returned from the hinterlands of Milwaukee, heralded by torrents of almost freezing rain. Seattle's starting to look like the setting of one of Ursula LeGuin's science fiction stories, wherein the denizens of some godforsaken ball of half-frozen mud must drag themselves thither and yon in some kind of inexplicable, miserable survival ritual. Now, if we could just manage the part in one of her novels about how the aliens had to change sex every couple of years or so, it wouldn't be so deadly monotonous to live soggily!
Miraculous bout of sunlight in mid-afternoon, hope arises in the aquarium.
Beloved spouse and I walked out for Thai food. We sat near the large fish tank, and observed the lion fish and big puffer swishing around. The puffer seemed to get very interested in the surface, and would hold his face up to it with a gasping mouth, his lacy little yellow fins swirling madly. Probably looking for food, but at a certain point, he would seem to give up hope, and sink slowly to the bottom, where he'd hit, bounce, and languish. Maybe he was coveting my plate of spicy noodles with tofu, or spouse's ginger prawns. It was difficult not to ascribe sadness to his features.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Midwinter in WI always makes me happy I moved out of the mid-west, even for the rains.

Oh, I think it was the ginger prawns. Sour puss becuase one of the cousins was skewered for food.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Milwaukee to freezing rain, eh? Well, it could be both, I suppose. Imagine how dreary it would be to be in Milwaukee during a freezing rain. I do think one would have to kill oneself, no?

7:47 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

At our favorite restaruant, there is a huge tank with huge fish. They are not tropical fish but are some kind of gold fish. Anyway, my grandson loves to watch the fish, and we when we go there, they know to sit us near the tank. Not long ago, my grandson wanted to feed his food to the fish. The owner of the restaruant, lifted my grandson up, and put a little fish food in a spoon, and let my grandson feed the fish. It was a priceless moment. When the man put my grandson back down, he was grinning from ear to ear and in mixed baby talk and formed words he told us about feeding the fish. The rest of the night, the fish kept looking at my grandson and he, my grandson, carried on a pretty intense conversation with the fish.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home