Thursday, February 02, 2006

Mutants unite!

Where does one go to acquire genes to improve one's athleticism? I'm most interested in hybridizing myself in order to be a better climber, and a stronger person! Don't want any pig parts, but spider monkeys are a possibility...
Oh, for crying aloud. How much more stupid does our so-called leader have to present himself as? Creeping lower and lower to the barrel bottom of denominators...
I feel evil and foul-humored.
Just heard that an old friend from bike racing days died in a freak scuba diving incident. He had recently turned 50...a quiet, intelligent and extremely generous man with a good wit. He used to say he majored in clams and oysters at the University of Washington School of Fisheries. He had been building houses for purple martins to nest in, over the past several years. He used to be a competitive tennis player, and when we both stopped bike racing, he gave me free tennis lessons. Put on crab feeds with so much Dungeness crab at hand, it was hard to imagine ever being hungry. He liked windsurfing, sea kayaking, was living happily with a woman. He made the most diabolically heavenly chocolate cheesecake. They still haven't figured out just what killed him, but the woman who called me to tell me of his death gave an increasingly horrific account of what they tried to do to revive him. All I can think of is I really truly hope he never experienced any of those procedures. And I cannot help but wonder why the wrong people are dying. He wasn't on my short list...
It's absolutely uncalled for for me to gripe about my mood.

5 Comments:

Blogger zelda1 said...

I hate to hear of unexpectant deaths. It so reminds me of my mortality. That's what it does and while I am thinking of how sad for the loss and the family and all of that, I'm thinking, wow, he or she was only a year or so younger or older than I, and I could be next.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Indeed sad to hear about your friend, I. My sympathies.

As to the hybrid ideas: yeah, you know, that makes sense. We could give you climbers some spider genes to make it easier for you. But then you'd have that web stuff to contend with, and you'd all end up as superheros...

7:28 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

The hell with monkeys. I'd settle for discovering that you were a Hilton heiress.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it - new cafe's abound under the shrub's direction - "hybridizing." If you can't be all that you can be, well shit, we'll make you better.

8:32 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Geeze, phil, you want me to stand on my head and spit twenties?

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home