Sunday, February 19, 2006

A warning of sorts

Things disintegrated last night. After a couple of odd episodes of not being able to get her feet under her to get off the couch right before I served dinner, there was something worse later on. Around 10:00, my mother usually heads up to bed. I was upstairs, reading The Glass Bead Game, and glanced at the clock, thinking I should go down and see if she was okay. She wasn't, she was sitting on the floor next to the coffee table, and had taken off her shoes. She seemed distressed, and had been trying to get upstairs. We helped her up, and she appeared to rally a bit, walking upstairs with us spotting her, but once up there, it became clear something was very wrong. I was advised by our health provider's consulting nurse to call 911, and shortly her room was full of four men and their equipment. They didn't think she was having a stroke, but advised getting her in to be checked over. So, at around 10:45, she was whisked off to the ER, and we followed not long after. From 11:3o until after 1:30, they checked her vitals, blood, urine, etc., and gave her a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. Final call: Something called hyponatremia, or lowered sodium level in the blood. Just as a counterpart to her tendency to get dehydrated and faint, now we have the phenomenon of drinking too much water, and getting weak. So we have to find a balance. Poor mom, she's like a science project at the moment!
Fortunately, we were all able to sleep relatively late this morning, and I whupped up some home made waffles. Nothing like buttery, syrupy piles of delectable waffles to buck one up, along with our own double cappucinos.
As I sat in the ER waiting room late last night, and as I lay in bed, still terrible keyed up and buzzing after 2:30 ayem, I conducted my own little triage mentally: There is a limit to how much I can go into caring for an old person, certain duties I know I cannot perform, nor ask of my immediate family.
Everything seems back to our usual state this afternoon, but I need to remember last night's experience.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to say it Isa, but it may come to a point where you won't be able to give her the help she needs. The upside are that there are some great resources in your area. I have a relative that lives up there and just went through a similar situation with her father. He passed away this summer, but the strains of taking care of an elder parent can wear on a person. I am sure you know, I almost deleted this comment. But in the face of mortality, we all must make difficult decisions. Know that others have had to make similar ones and you can persevere through these challenging times. The best tip is to rifle through your memories to gather together the good ones - sift through those on a regular basis. I find those are best to dust off in trying times. It's not avoidance, but selective recall that helps get you through to the other side of the journey.

Oh, that and go for a run. Works for me.

Blog on sister, and my thoughts are with you.

9:46 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Windspike is right. YOu will come to the point where keeping her at your house will not be safe for her, she will need to be where trained people can moniter her, and they will know the fine balance between too much and not enough water. Don't wait until she is in the hospital and the doctor is telling you to go find an extended health care facility, start looking now, interview the administrator, talk to the state inspectors, talk to other people who are in your position. Families at retirement homes are always eager to point out the faults of the establisments and can give you the heads up on the best one around. It's painful to know you have to take a step in that direction, but for now, just start inquiring, and later on go for a visit, and when it becomes a necessity, you won't be blindsided and be forced into putting her just anywhere. I, too, will be thinking of you.

6:57 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thank you for your observations, 'spike and zelda. Believe me, this has all been running through my mind...even more so now.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Kind wishes to you & your mom, I. It's tough, and gets tougher. My mother passed in '94.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No doubt, you and your family need a break, I think. Good thing you have climbing and other outlets...not to mention, good coffee and beer up there in the Pacific Northwest.

Blog on sister.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home