Sunday, February 26, 2006

Happy 88th, Mama!

She slept a little later than usual; it was a very chilly night, and none of us wanted to hop out of our cozy bedding right away. Usual breakfast of little chocolate muffins, orange juice, and one of my special Cafe Americanos with lots of lowfat milk and foam on top. We got in a four block walk, being sure to exchange a few syllables with the literally cooped up chickens - their owners are in Montana for a family celebration of a couple's 60th wedding anniversary - and continued on our way, conducting a daffodil census. The jumbo varieties are starting to bloom, and since yellow is my mother's favorite color, she's very pleased to see them. This afternoon brought efforts towards production of a chocolate cake, her favorite. Two gorgeous layers just came out of the oven, and three lofty cupcakes, which I shall frost and take over to a friend and neighbor who gave me some chocolate to use in the cake, since I was lacking quite enough. I'm pondering the type of frosting to concoct, and have ingredients available for a couple of options: Buttercream, or French glaze? Both, if possible!
In fact, I created an amalgam of a frosting, blending a ganache and a buttercream into a delectable finish for the cake. The cake turned out to be excellent.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Buttercream - definatelly, buttercream and if you can add a dash of yellow food coloring, like the daffodills you mother loves, that would be a wonderful birthday cake.

Sounds like you eat well up there. Blog on Sister and happy b-day to the moms from down here.

Blog on sister.

10:29 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, it had to be chocolate frosting, so the yellow wouldn't show, spike. I should have decorated it with icing daffodils!!
Let me tell ya, it's great for breakfast! We eat fairly plainly much of the time, with an occasional splurge.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, I'll pass them on to her.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love it! Cake for b-fast and coffee to go with it. Winning combo. The breakfast of champions.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

"The Daffodil Census". That's lovely. I like that. I'm afraid it's going to be several months before we can take one of those up here. I'm running into great titles all over today. I was just over at Poobah's and ran into "The Malfeasance of the Crapweasels". (Three guesses what that's about and the first two don't count.) Happy 88th to your mom! Great to hear.

5:03 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Happy Birthday to your mother. If my mom were alive, she would have turned last August. And nothing is better for breakfast than a little coffee and cake, and the buttercream with a dash of yellow has my vote too. Of course I like yellow cake and they are so easy to make. Actually creamcheese with a touch of yellow food coloring would be nice and you could put some marzipan leaves all around it, make it look like a huge yellow flower. Again, Happy Birthday to your mom.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home